Saturday, June 20, 2009

Intel S975XBX2 Motherboard + Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz and Linux compatibility

I recently upgrade my computer from an Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz to Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz ~ 64 bit computer. My old computer was dying. My current desktop configuration:

=> Intel S975XBX2 Workstation class motherboard (8 x SATA II RAID, On board Sound, PCI / PCIe x 2,Gigabit Ethernet and other stuff)

=> Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz @ 1066 FSB (4 Core CPU + 8 MB L2 Cache )

=> 2 GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM (8GB Max)

=> Nvidia 8600 GT 512 MB PCIe

=> Seagate 500 GB x 4 SATA-II hard disk

=> Cooler master gaming case + 500W SMPS etc

=> Ubuntu Linux 7.04 - 64 bit

According to official Intel website this motherboard only works with Microsoft Windows XP and Vista operating system. However I was able to load Ubuntu Linux without a problem. I'm also able to use RAID 1 via dmraid. It discover and activate software Intel matrix storage RAID.

I also own Dual CPU Dual Core - AMD Opteron 2212 server. This box is now moved to local data center. It is mainly used for serving web pages and developing stuff. Overall I'm quite satisfied with my new computer. I feel like replacing an old car for latest Ferrari :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009 Intel Processor | by TNB